Re: xsl:key

Subject: Re: xsl:key
From: Mike Engelhart <mengelhart@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 16:53:04 -0600
David_Marston@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> My response is to say that you want a keyspace for each language,
> and the first argument to key() selects the keyspace you will
> use to generate all labels in that language. The lookup table
> for every one of those parallel keyspaces will map a string
> input to a string output, and all the inputs will be unique in
> any one keyspace. You build (or at least declare) the lookup
> table in the xsl:key directive
> <xsl:key name="keyspace_name" [indicate which language]
> use="something" [the input side of the lookup]
> match="something" /> [the output side of the lookup]
> So if all the values of the use= nodes are unique in any one
> keyspace, and you call key() with a string constant for the
> second argument, and the match= nodes come through as string
> constants, then you have the effect of mapping a generic
> string into a string in a specific language.
Thanks very much for the insight.  Now my question (and hopefully last) is
how to implement this.  I don't mind creating separate files for lookups but
I can't figure out even a simple example.  could you provide me with some
example xsl syntax for the following lookup document?

<phrase>
    <translation key="_FIRST_NAME">First Name</translation>
</phrase >

Sorry to be so dense about this...

Mike