RE: XSL processor authors - how about this approach?

Subject: RE: XSL processor authors - how about this approach?
From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 14:46:55 -0000
> >In this architecture, the operation which is taking most of
> the cycles is the parsing of the XSLT sheet (which can take several
> seconds) and is most of the time cached.

Firstly, it is hardly ever true that parsing and preparing the stylesheet
takes "most of the time". In most cases with Saxon it is around 20% of the
time; the actual ratio is highly variable but the highest I have measured is
50%. It can seem longer than this because the Java VM is also warming up
during this time, doing JIT compilation etc.

> Has anyone considered this kind of solution for server-side XSL? :
> Take the stylesheet, parse it and generate a custom servlet
> to perform this transformation. Then everytime XML needs to be
transformed,
> this servlet could be run.

Saxon did at one time include an XSLT-to-Java compiler. I eventually
abandoned it because it was getting too complex and the performance gains
were too marginal. That doesn't mean the approach isn't viable, just that I
didn't have the time and energy to complete it.

Saxon does provide what is almost as good, a servlet environment in which
the stylesheet is prepared once at start of day, and can then be used
(interpretively) to process as many source documents as you like.

Mike Kay