Re: Microsoft XSL and Conformance

Subject: Re: Microsoft XSL and Conformance
From: "Nikolai Grigoriev" <grig@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 01:03:49 +0300
Jonathan Marsh wrote:

> Andy and I, along
> with other members of the MSXML team have had a lot of conversations
> about being more open to the XML community and putting a human face
> on our development activities.  Andrew's post is a great example of
> our moves in this direction.

I agree. You have noticed the positive effect of Andy's message; let's hope
this will become a common practice. Prior to your message, I was absolutely
sure that Microsoft people decided to ignore XSL-list. Even announcements
about new versions of MSXML (both January and March) were posted here
by persons external to Microsoft; why not by Andy or you?

> Also, this issue has shown that a void of accurate information can quickly
> become a forum for "MS bashing" and that the best way we can avoid this is
> to provide accurate and timely information to the community.

I presume many people here have some experience in writing universally
acceptable JavaScript ;-). By having a non-conformant XSL(T) in the Internet
Explorer, we risk to recreate the same situation in the stylesheet domain.
IE XSL influences the practice of routine XSL writing - just because it is
installed in a number of copies zillion times greater than XT or Saxon.
No wonder the reaction to yet another delay in proper XSLT support has
been so nervous: a ghost of XSL'98/JScript'2000 is still wandering around.

Best regards,

Nikolai Grigoriev
RenderX