Re: MSXML abominations happening for a reason (was Re: MSXML...released)

Subject: Re: MSXML abominations happening for a reason (was Re: MSXML...released)
From: Lars Marius Garshol <larsga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 17 Mar 2000 09:05:35 +0100
* Mike Brown

| Yes, the problem is that pure XML/XSLT is too hard for your average
| "HTML programmer" to master in short order, in part because its
| functionality is less than obvious (side effect free operations on
| and specified by abstract trees derived from documents, rather than
| markup as direct controls for browser behavior).

This could very well be true, but it is still problematic, and for me
it is hard to understand why Microsoft chooses to implement XSLT at
all if they don't believe in it.  It is equally hard to understand why
they choose to only implement it half-heartedly when they first decide
to implement it.

If XSLT is too difficult or has anything else wrong with it, why not
implement something else, rather than an incompatible 'extended
subset'?  So, sorry Mike, but I still think MS deserves a bashing for
not doing this properly.

--Lars M.