Future XSLT extensions. document(). Summary.

Subject: Future XSLT extensions. document(). Summary.
From: Paul Tchistopolskii <paul@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 20:30:53 -0800

I'm sorry if this letter is disturbing, but I think I should write a summary,
because as a private correspondence shows - definately, some points
from my previous letters were expressed in fuzzy way.

I'm not commenting on  ECMA-script and / or JNI / CORBA
stuff ( not because it is not reasonable, but because
it is another problem domain ).

Also not commenting on the possible unified node-set
world ( not because it is not reasonable, but because it is
another problem domain ).

Just expanding the sentence:

"The proposal was to bring the node-set typecast into the core
and then rethinking the semantics of all the functions returning
node-sets and in particular document() function".

A.
----

Things added to the core:

1. to-nodeset ( string )
2. to-string ( node-set  )

B.
----

Features under Consideration for Future Versions of XSLT (Non-Normative)

* allow for result tree fragments all operations that are allowed for node-sets;

becomes true  ( including the to-string( r-t-f  ) )

C.
-----

The semantics of document() is reduced to:

node-set document(URI)

I wish document (" ") hack goes away, because there will be
no actual need in it, I think, most of the things could be done
with the variables, because of (B) - but that looks optional to me....
.... Maybe there is realy some person using old assembly language
tricks with XSLT ....

I agree that (C) may be too strong.  I'm sorry, but I see it this way.

I would like to get some examples of why document(URI) *only*
it is not enough. I think the desired extra functionality could be
achived in more natural fashion with the help of  A and B or
should go to some other function.

Rgds.Paul.