Re: using default params?

Subject: Re: using default params?
From: Jens Lautenbacher <jtl@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 29 Mar 2000 13:55:38 +0200
David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> > the syntax
> > choose-when-/when-otherwise-/otherwise-/choose is more than a little
> > bit stupid for this...
>
> It's an XML feature.
> If you close your eyes, the syntax doesn't look so bad.

HaHa... ok. It helps. unfortunately I now do so many typing errors
that my parser gets upset...

> > this I don't understand.
> As Paul commented, your understanding wasn't helped by me messing up the
> example.
> >  what if I want to do something like

> <xsl:if test="@foo">
>   <xsl:attribute name="bgcolor"><xsl:value-of select="@foo"/></xsl:attribute>
> </xsl:if>
> <xsl:if test="@bar">
>   <xsl:attribute name="border"><xsl:value-of select="@bar"/></xsl:attribute>
> </xsl:if>

I see. this is much much better now.

> > And I don't understand this, too :-(
> > why don't you need a test for existence in this example around the
> > xsl:copy-of ?
>
> 'cause <xsl:copy-of select="@bgcolor"/> copys the nodes it selects
> and if there isn't a bgcolor attribute node, that isn't an error
> you just get the empty node set so nothing in the output.

I see. Thank you very much for your help.

Maybe I can ask you some other questions, regarding design decisions
in the XSL spec:

Is there any reason why it isn't possible to handle a RTF as a
node-set? At the moment I have to use a stupid hack, like

    <xsl:param name="foo">
    [something between]
    </xsl:param>

    <xsl:param name="foo-set" select="document('')//xsl:param[@name='foo']"/>
    (modulo syntax errors here)

which seems to be mildly amusing to say the least.

Is there any reason why I can't use <xsl:call-template name="{$param}"> ??

and the same goes for use-attribute-sets: why isn't it possible to use
a computed name for this parameter ?? It seems to me that everything I
tried to use to program "dynamic jumps" is forbidden by purpose...

After an initial excitement over XSLT I'm now in the state where it
feels a bit like TeX: You can do everything (in theory), but things
tend to be very very hard to do... Why didn't they simply use a full
featured scheme or clisp for the style language...

Anyway, thanks again,

        jtl