Including CSS File References in HTML Output, Ignoring Entities, Extracting Data from DBHTML Calls....

Subject: Including CSS File References in HTML Output, Ignoring Entities, Extracting Data from DBHTML Calls....
From: Laurie Mann <laurie.mann@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 12:10:52 -0500
Thanks for the help the other day.   Between this group, the XML Bible,
the WDVL site, www.CraneSoftwrights.com, some useful
examples from Pete Beazley at www.clearlyonline, and, of course,
Jim Clark's excellent xt program, I wrote my first XML-to-HTML conversion
file yesterday.  It did all the basic things I needed it to do.

I have three questions that I haven't found the answer to in the XSL FAQ
(a VERY useful document otherwise) and in the archives (though they've
been hard to search).

First:  CSS.  I understand how to pass <styles>...defs...</style> using
XSL to get some formatting information into the HTML files.  But I'd
really rather be able to add a statement to an XSL file that writes
out the following to the header of an HTML file:

    <LINK REL=stylesheet HREF="doc.css" TYPE="text/css">

If you try to include that information for an HTML file in
XSL, you get an error.  I'm assuming I'm missing something about
escaping characters properly?

Second:  Ignoring entities.  Is there way to tell the processor to
ignore entities in a file?

Finally:  Extracting data from DBHTML calls.  We used DBHTML calls
all over the place to pre-define names for HTML files.  They
look like this:

     <?dbhtml filename="Hlp_Dth01.html"?>

They are like a processing instruction, so I tried using pi(), but that
didn't work.  Is there any way to pass the contents of the filename
string to XSL?

Thanks!