Re: [OT] Re: Apache Module (Xalan?)

Subject: Re: [OT] Re: Apache Module (Xalan?)
From: "Jon Smirl" <jonsmirl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 14:30:12 -0400
I haven't measured it exactly since it was so slow but there is a big
different between compiled and not compiled. The XML parser is about the
same speed as the XSL transform stage. Compiling the sheet each time means
you have to parse it each time which will half your throughput.

My XML input to the compiled XSL sheet is never parsed either. My db
integration code generates SAX events straight into XT allowing me to avoid
another XML parse. Retrieving a page from my system does not involve any XML
parsing once the cache is active. For Java based systems XT/XP is twice the
speed of any of the other available solutions.

Another trap is the document() function for making the stylesheet available
for input into the transform. XSL and XML don't treat white space the same
so the DOM trees have to be different. Using document() will cause the XSL
sheet to be reparsed.

None of these schemes are fast enough for building an interactive ecommerce
app with fifty simultaneous users. It looks like C based code is my only
solution. Now that MS is up to speed on the XSL bandwagon I'm looking at
moving all of my transforms into the browser.

Jon Smirl
jonsmirl@xxxxxxxxxxxx