Re: Best way to handle multiple string replacements?

Subject: Re: Best way to handle multiple string replacements?
From: Warren Hedley <w.hedley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 10:07:47 -0400
David Carlisle wrote:

> But latex can handle that range by default, just enable latin1 encoding
> (which is the same as unicode in this range) There is no need to replace
> those characters by command sequences.

I'm using Thomas Esser's TeTex distribution. The latex app doesn't
give me any errors when processing the ``high'' characters, but
they don't show up in the DVI or Postscript output. I'm not sure
if this is a problem with latex or my font setup. As the macros do
work, I assume it is with latex.

Is the ability to handle these characters properly something that
must be set at compile time? An environment variable? Command line
options? Some package?

> Incidentally, does anyone know what the LaTeX macro for &#0182;
> (pilcrow sign = paragraph sign) is?
> \P

and \textparagraph apparently.

Thanks.