Re: namespace declarations

Subject: Re: namespace declarations
From: Jeni Tennison <Jeni.Tennison@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 18:12:43 +0100

>I saw this in one of the previous posts:
><?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
><?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="test.xsl"?>
>Can someone explain or recommend some easy to read info on namespaces?
>In my .xsl file I've been using
><?xml:stylesheet ... instead of <?xml-stylesheet...
>Does it matter which one?
>And can I combine the two lines
>(<?xml version... and <?xml-stylesheet..)

This isn't a question about namespaces, it's about associating style sheets
with XML documents.

The <?xml version="1.0" ... ?> is the XML declaration.  You can read all
about it at <>.

The <?xml-stylesheet ... ?> is the xml-stylesheet processing instruction.
You can read all about it at <
xml-stylesheet processing instruction>.

The xml:stylesheet processing instruction is, I believe, the processing
instruction that the Microsoft XSL processor used to use to identify the
stylesheet.  You shouldn't use it, and you don't need to use it if you're
using the latest MSXML.

You cannot combine the XML declaration and the xml-stylesheet processing
instruction together.

I hope this helps,

Dr Jeni Tennison
Epistemics Ltd, Strelley Hall, Nottingham, NG8 6PE
Telephone 0115 9061301 ? Fax 0115 9061304 ? Email