xml to xml identity transforms, and reading the DTD

Subject: xml to xml identity transforms, and reading the DTD
From: Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 11:35:21 +0100 (BST)
Can I raise an issue in near-identity transforms?

When I write a cleanup script in XSL, the XML/XSLT processor reads my
document and the DTD, and outputs values for attributes which are
defaulted in the DTD. For example, an ATTLIST for a element contains

        org (composite | uniform) "uniform"

so my XML output has "org='uniform'" every time the element
occurs. Quite right too, thats what the DTD says. But it is
very irritating in practice.

You will say "remove the DOCTYPE", but thats a bore. And I might need a
DTD subset.

So the question is, do any of the XML parsers which I might plug in to
(say) Saxon support this minimal level of DTD reading, in which
default values are NOT applied?

Sebastian