[no subject]

From: "alex chang" <shortestpath@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 13:06:29 EDT
Can someone please explain:

<xsl:template match="*" />

I was looking at an xsl file; it had the above line and right above it the comment:

<!-- The template with match="*" below is a fail-safe. If at any point we get to a node in the XML tree that doesn't match any of our template match statements, we replace that node with blank space. -->

This is in the context of going through an xml file and creating an html table. I think I understand what this means, but when (or maybe even why) would a condition like this happen? I commented out <xsl:template match="*" /> and I still got the same table.

Thanks in advance,
-alex