Re: outputting values instead of applying formatting

Subject: Re: outputting values instead of applying formatting
From: Mike Brown <mike@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 23:38:45 -0600 (MDT)
> <?xml:stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="aTable.xsl"?>

Where did you get this syntax from? I'm curious because I had trouble
finding it when I looked. <?xml-stylesheet is what the W3C Recommendation
for stylesheet linking says, and is what I found documented on MSDN.

> <xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform";
> version="1.0">
> [...]
> I bring up testTable.xml in IE5 and get:

Wrong namespace for MSXML1/IE5. As IE5 ships, it doesn't implement XSLT
1.0. People have to be told this every single day on this list. I wish MS
would make their online docs more clear about this point.

> #003399 color: white; My Title

The transformation instructions in your stylesheet are not being executed
at all; they're being interpreted as literal result elements because
you're not using the namespace that IE5 recognizes. They're not being
executed in the second example, either. It was just a coincidence that the
output was what you were hoping for.

The version of MSXML that ships with IE 5.0 and is used by the browser by
default is almost completely obsolete. Stop using it.

You have two options:

 1. Use an up-to-date XSLT 1.0 processor like Saxon (to name just one).
    If you are a beginner I would recommend getting Instant Saxon.
    You run it from the command line.

 2. Update your MSXML to the latest preview release available from
    msdn.microsoft.com. After installing it, run 'xmlinst' in your
    Windows system directory so that IE will use it. Even the latest
    preview release of MSXML is not a complete XSLT 1.0 implementation,
    however. Only do this if you have a real need to do browser-side
    transformations.

   - Mike