Re: How is this part of the XSLT specification to be interpreted?

Subject: Re: How is this part of the XSLT specification to be interpreted?
From: Warren Hedley <w.hedley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 13:47:23 -0400
Mike Brown wrote:

> > Use normal XML comments (<!-- ... -->) but include a structure within them,
> > which you can then parse using XSLT if you wish (Warren Hedley provides a
> > stylesheet for doing so).
>
> Comments are not required to be reported by an XML parser, so you should
> never depend on being able to process them with XSLT.

A good point, but in the context of documentation generation the
author has control over the parser and processor, so this isn't
a problem. I don't think the idea is to give the stylesheet to
someone, and tell them to extract the documentation, apply this
other stylesheet. In the absence of widespread support for extension
elements and fallback elements, as David C has proposed, my solution
still seems quite attractive, albeit amoral.

--
Warren Hedley