RE: How is this part of the XSLT specification to be interprete d?

Subject: RE: How is this part of the XSLT specification to be interprete d?
From: Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen <TRA@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 09:00:49 +0200
> A good point, but in the context of documentation generation the
> author has control over the parser and processor, so this isn't
> a problem. I don't think the idea is to give the stylesheet to
> someone, and tell them to extract the documentation, apply this
> other stylesheet. In the absence of widespread support for extension
> elements and fallback elements, as David C has proposed, my solution
> still seems quite attractive, albeit amoral.

The advantage of the <!-- --> approach is that you can have almost any text inside, be it JavaDoc, DocBook or something completely different.

The disadvantage is that you do not get the benefit of the XML-system (tags must be matched etc) when doing so, and any debugging of such a document must be done by generating the derivative XML as data, and then read it in as XML.

Personally I'd prefer the latter, but I can easily see advantages in both ways.  Generating JavaDoc would make a very easy documentation pathway for programmers.

--
  Thorbjørn