Re: xsl self-documentation on the fly /feature request

Subject: Re: xsl self-documentation on the fly /feature request
From: Eric van der Vlist <vdv@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 11:48:50 +0200
"Pawson, David" wrote:

> Thanks Eric. Lots of options!
> Its the side effects that put me off, your comments
> about concurrent access etc, it doesn't seem right
> for xslt when explained like that.

I am not sure of which kind of side effects you're mentioning here ;=)

If you mean side effect in the same meaning than when we say that XSLT
is a side effect free language to justify that a variable cannot be
modified, I think that to control the "logging" in the output tree
should avoid the problems since the order of the output tree is
guaranteed even if the order in which the operations are done is not.

In fact, I like the idea of splitting the output tree in the output
handler using namespace controls and it can probably be used for other
applications.

You could even imagine **some** kind of restricted variable support at
this level.

If you mean side effects as "medical side effects", yes, there are
potential issues to consider and analyze...

> >4) Alternatively, the logging could be done outside the XSLT
> >transformation (4xt, in the Driver or XSLServlet classes but before or
> >after the transformation itself) or even in a shell script calling the
> >transformation (requiring 0% modification :=) ...
>
> Could you expand on this as an option please.

I am afraid I might be another one having missed the goals...

If the goal is "only" to log in an external file the fact that a
transformation has been made at time t on input document src.xml by
trans.xsl with output out.xml, this can easily be done by wrapping the
call of your favorite tool in a shell script which would do both the
transformation and the logging as 2 separate operations.

Alternatively, this can be done by extending the upper level classes of
your XSLT processor to do the logging out of the context of
transformation itself.

I guess it wouldn't meet all your requirements, though.

Hope this helps.

Eric