RE: xsl self-documentation - trace

Subject: RE: xsl self-documentation - trace
From: "Randall Parker" <randall@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 20:45:28 -0700
I'm a newbie novice with this XSLT stuff. However, I've done a lot of debugging in many kinds of systems and have a modest proposal:

The XSLT engine should output two things when put in trace mode:

1) A listing file.
   The listing file would be the XSLT document that it processed but with a twist: Every line (or maybe every test) would be numbered.

2) A numbered match history.

To take your example below: The line might be in the listing as
  52:  <xsl:template match="blah">

Then the match history would be like:

21
32
79
52
34
79
52

To make it easier to search the match history I'd suggest making all match numbers as wide as the widest one. If the widest was 3 digits then:

052

That way one could load the match history into a programmers editor and do a search for 052 and not worry about finding the 52 in 152 for instance.

Anyway, if this is impractical or difficult or not useful disregard. Again, I'm real new to XSLT so I may be missing basic things here.