xsl:include vs. xsl:import

Subject: xsl:include vs. xsl:import
From: "Evan Lenz" <elenz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 08:28:49 -0700
Assuming that template rules of equal import precedence and priority would
cause an XSLT processor to report an error, why would one ever need to use
xsl:include instead of xsl:import?  Is it precisely for debugging, where
there is no intent to override template rules but only to ensure that there
are no conflicts?  Or perhaps readability--where the reader knows right off
that nothing is being overridden?  Are there any "technical" reasons for
needing to do so?  My suspicion is that any xsl:include elements could be
replaced by xsl:import elements (as first children of the xsl:stylesheet
element) without there being any change to the stylesheet's net behavior
(the converse, of course, not being true).  Where there _is_ a change, would
that not be the result of bad stylesheet design, since it relies on
implementation-specific quirks?  Maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks,

Evan Lenz
elenz@xxxxxxxxxxx