Re: How to display page numbers using xsl

Subject: Re: How to display page numbers using xsl
From: "John E. Simpson" <simpson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 13:24:29 -0400
At 10:28 AM 09/05/2000 -0400, Krishnamurthy, Rama wrote:
   I want to display 15 records per page and display page numbers on the
top.
(1 2 3 4 5 .. etc)

 A click on the page number (Eg.2) displays record numbers
16 to 30 .

OK, good, we're talking about XML *Web* pages. For a scary minute there, I thought you meant *print* pages. :)

This should be pretty straightforward, but challenging, to do. Basically it's an extension of the "How do I do [X] for every N nodes?" problem, which you should find many examples of in the list archives and the XSL FAQ. There's one additional problem here, which is that you evidently want to produce multiple result trees from a given source tree, but you can get around that using extension functions provided with some XSLT engines.

But:

I'm using the xsl namespace http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xsl

Very important information, and thank you for including it!

What you need to do before anything else is: STOP using that namespace. It's no longer valid for either XSLT or XSL proper (<- the formatting objects spec, if that's what you mean to refer to). It implies that you're using an outdated (nearly two-years-outdated) version of MSIE, which no one -- neither Microsoft nor anyone on XSL-List, I think, wants to think about anymore. The version of XSL which it implemented was current at the time but has since moved way beyond that point. It was exciting to be able to use it in 1998 and early '99, but you'll learn very little useful if you keep using it. My two cents.