Re: XSLT V 1.1

Subject: Re: XSLT V 1.1
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 12:41:56 GMT
> I just ( still ) think the XSLT core should not be polluted with this shorthand.

features are only shorthands if there is a long way of getting the same
functionality.

The second argument of document() allows a string obtained or
constructed from any part of the input document or stylesheet
to be resolved against the base URI of any node in the input or
stylesheet to construct an absolute URI.

In the absence of any method within XSL of determining the URI of a node
there isn't any way to acheive that functionality.

You argue that you don't need the functionality as you never want to
retrieve anything relative to the stylesheet, and you don't want to use
entity references. That's fine in that case you don't need the second
argument, but that still doesn't make it a "shorthand".

Actually I do agree that the semantics of document() are rather, er,
strange and you have to read that section about 1001 time before
it sinks in, and that separating out the functionality of resolving a
relative URI into a function which could be used in other places
would perhaps have been better/simpler.

David