how to refer to xml elements when using the document() function

Subject: how to refer to xml elements when using the document() function
From: Teresa.Mairal-Barreu@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 16:21:05 +1100
I have been searching for the use of the document() function but I have
found very little information and in some cases some of the examples didn't
work when I tried them.

I have to work with two different xml sources and I've been using document
() but my question is what syntax to use to refer to individual elements
belonging to 2 different input sources. I'm using xt and so far the only
result I get is no result or the whole xml document is pasted into the
output.

I have tried:

 <xsl:variable name="cmissions"><xsl:value-of select="document
('../missions/missions.xml',  /)"/></xsl:variable>

 and then refer to elements in the following way:

<xsl:value-of select="$cmissions/mission/country_code"/>. This gives me an
"unable to resolve node-set error".

I also need to get the contents of <misscity> for each <hom_country> ie
hom_country_code and hom_country have to be compared and the corresponding
city has to be part of the output. How do I refer to each hom_country and
country_code?

I'd appreciate it if you could help.

homs.xml
--------------
<homs_list>
   <hom>
       <hom_type>abc</hom_type>
       <hom_name>xyz</hom_name>
       <hom_country_code>fr</hom_country_code>
   </hom>
   <hom>
   </hom>
<homs_list>

missions.xml
-------------------
<missionspage>
   <mission>
      <country_code>fr</country_code>
      <missaddress>
         <misstreet>xyz</misstreet>
        <misscity>abc</misscity>
     </missaddress>
   </mission>
   <mission>
   </mission>
</missionspage>

Teresa

Teresa Mairal Barreu
Public Diplomacy Division
Images of Australia Branch
International Media Strategies Section
Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade

teresa.mairal-barreu@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.dfat.gov.au