Re: XPath optional node question

Subject: Re: XPath optional node question
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 18:56:08 GMT

me> bar[ancestor::foo and ancester::*[self::foo or descendent::foo or
me> self::a or self::b]]

PS

the xpath I just posted doesn't deal with the most general case
(it will be confused if bar has foo descendents, eg

foo/x/bar/foo

would be accepted as the x is an ancestor of a foo, so not barred.
I'm not sure it is possible just uing xpath, in full generality.

If you can use xslt rather than just xpath it's usually easier to
recurse down the tree checking the constraints as you go rather than
trying to construct a majic xpath to do it all in one go.

David