Re: [xsl] Netscape Navigator not displaying emdash

Subject: Re: [xsl] Netscape Navigator not displaying emdash
From: Mike Brown <mike@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 13:56:44 -0700 (MST)
Typrowicz, Jim wrote:
> I have an emdash character (a long dash) that I would like to display on my
> HTML page, which is generated with Cocoon/XSL.  The character displays fine
> in IE but not Netscape.
>
> I have something like:  ...test &#x2014; test
>
> In IE it comes out "...test - test", as it should.  In Netscape it comes out
> as "...test &mdash; test".

Your XSLT processor is serializing the character as &mdash; which is legal
in HTML but Netscape doesn't like it. This is a bug in Netscape. Versions
prior to 6 don't recognize the entities corresponding to characters over
255. Netscape should accept &#8212; instead, but you have no way of
forcing your XSLT processor to serialize em dash characters that way.

Go to http://www.hclrss.demon.co.uk/demos/ent4_frame.html and in the
left frame choose "em dash" to jump to that point in the right frame
to test your browser & font combinations.

   - Mike