Re: [xsl] [XSL-FO] column of small width

Subject: Re: [xsl] [XSL-FO] column of small width
From: "Nikolai Grigoriev" <grig@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 09:26:16 +0300
Arved Sandstrom wrote:

> Let's assume that your content is inside an fo:block; i.e.
>
> <fo:table-cell><fo:block>TEXT</fo:block></fo:table-cell>
>
> The default wrap-option is "wrap", meaning that line-breaking occurs for
> overflow. So you're seeing this for your first example.
>
> But in the second example it's not a line-breaking problem, which in any
> case is left up to the formatter, it's a word-breaking problem. By default
> hyphenation is false, so if you've got a long word and not enough space,
> what else do you do?

In this case, we at RenderX reduce letter-spacing/word-spacing until the long
word fits into the available line length, so that text distribution into columns
is always respected. If you only need to pull in a character or two, it really
helps (though for a long text like an URL on a very short line, this may stretch
the text beyond readability limits).

Best regards,
Nikolai Grigoriev

RenderX