Re: [xsl] Netscape Navigator not displaying emdash

Subject: Re: [xsl] Netscape Navigator not displaying emdash
From: Mike Brown <mike@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 09:58:18 -0700 (MST)
Martin Stricker wrote:
> there is a really nasty little trick: Use &#150;
> (medium-lenght, best used for a dash) or &#151; (really long, doesn't
> look good as a dash). These two characters are officially non-printable,
> but in most windows fonts (I don't know about other OS) they are
> displayed as dashes. I regularly use &#150; for a dash in my webpages.
> As I said it's a dirty trick and might get you into trouble with certain
> fonts and other operating systems than M$Windoze.

It is not just font and OS dependent, it is a behavior that is also
influenced by browsers (that can choose not to bother with characters that
aren't displayable in the current encoding) and the default character
encoding used by the OS. Regional versions of Windows will use
windows-125x (something other than 1252) encoding which maps 150 and 151
to completely different characters than what you expect.

   - Mike