Re: [xsl] DOCTYPE

Subject: Re: [xsl] DOCTYPE
From: Mike Brown <mike@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 19:06:51 -0700 (MST)
Edierley Messias wrote:
> In my xml document a have the doctype declaration:
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <!DOCTYPE wml PUBLIC "-//WAPFORUM//DTD WML 1.1//EN" "http://www.wapforum.org/DTD/wml_1.1.xml";>
> <wml>
>   <card id="a">
>       Hello.
>   </card>
> </wml>
>
> When a use the XalanJ-1.2 processor to copy the xml document, the Xalan
> contacts the site wapforum and take the DTD definition to the document,
> like this (I took of many lines to show better in the email):

> <!--
> Wireless Markup Language (WML) Document Type Definition.
> Copyright Wireless Application Protocol Forum Ltd., 1998,1999.
>                       All rights reserved.
> <!-- Navigation and event elements -->
> <!-- card intrinsic events -->
> <!-- card field types -->
> <!-- ampersand -->
> <!--
> Copyright Wireless Application Protocol Forum Ltd., 1998,1999.
>                       All rights reserved.
> -->
> <wml>
>   <card id="a">
>       Hello.
>   </card>
> </wml>

I thought Xalan was an XSLT processor that relied on an XML parser like
Xerces to do the dirty work of parsing the XML and XSLT documents it
processes. How exactly are you making Xalan do this?

It isn't wrong for an XML parser to go look at the remote DTD, but it is
wrong for it to actually insert it into the XML. How did you accomplish
this?

What are you trying to do, anyway? Transform the XML to something else?

Are you trying to create a <!DOCTYPE> in your output? There are attributes
in the xsl:output instruction for achieving that.

   - Mike