Re: [xsl] How can I use XML to convert data from HTML to PDF

Subject: Re: [xsl] How can I use XML to convert data from HTML to PDF
From: Jeni Tennison <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 18:14:42 +0000
Hi Ashish,

> How can I use XML to convert data from HTML to PDF????

If you want to use an XML route, you can do it in three steps:
   HTML -> XHTML -> XSL-FO -> PDF

1. Turn your HTML into XHTML by running it through HTML Tidy (you can
   get that from http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett/tidy/).  Basically
   that makes your HTML XML compliant, so that you can do things to it
   that you can only do to XML, including transforming it with XSLT.

2. Download or write your own XSLT stylesheet that turns XHTML into
   XSL-FO (there's one at
   http://www.antenna.co.jp/XML/downfree/Xhtml2fo.xsl [as cautiously
   revealed by its author, Tokushige Kobayashi, yesterday]).

3. Run the XSL-FO through one of the various XSL-FO processors that
   turns XSL-FO into PDF, for example FOP from
   http://xml.apache.org/fop/.

There are applications that turn HTML straight into PDF, though, like
HTMLDoc: http://www.easysw.com/htmldoc/

Cheers,

Jeni

---