Re: [xsl] Proper way to use XSL for HTML output?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Proper way to use XSL for HTML output?
From: "Michael Beddow" <mbnospam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 11:02:28 -0000
On Monday, February 05, 2001 9:58 AM
Kevin Duffey wrote:

> I am curious what others are doing when creating XSL pages to
transform
> dynamic XML (via JSP output of well-formed tags) into HTML. I simply
do
> something like this:
[...]
>Is there a proper way, a "standard" way, or just do
> it how I want as long as it works?

Well, the perlish TIMTOWTDI doesn't often get quoted on this list, but
I don't see why not. If this linear "pull" approach suits your present
and foreseeable future needs, I'd say go ahead without worrying about
"right" or wrong".

Sticking to this approach deprives you of a lot of the more powerful
abstractions that a "push" technique relying on recursively-activated
apply-templates offers, but if you're sure you'll never have needs
requiring that power, that shouldn't matter.

One thing I would say, though, from my current experience. If xslt
written around a "pull" approach reaches a certain degree of
complexity and you have applications that are in production and
committed to it, adapting those applications to more sophisticated
techniques, if they turn out to be necessary after all, can be a
nightmare.