[xsl] Multi-layered xml includes

Subject: [xsl] Multi-layered xml includes
From: "Joerg M. Colberg" <joerg.colberg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 17:13:29 -0500
Hi all,

   I have a somewhat tricky question. Assume there are
three xml documents (called a.xml, b.xml, and c.xml)
with the following contents:

a.xml:
<a_tag>Data for a</a_tag>
<a_include file="b.xml"/>

b.xml:
<b_tag>Data for b</b_tag>
<b_include file="c.xml"/>

c.xml:
<c_tag>Data for c</c_tag>

The includes are intended to tell the xsl to include
the given document and to process the information
inside the document (using the document() function).
The question is whether the inclusion can be done
recursively as shown in the example and how the
information can be processed.
For instance, the xsl would use
            document('b.xml')/b_tag
to access the b_tag in document b.xml. What would it
do to reach the c_tag?
   The general case we have is actually more
complicated. There can be an arbitrary number of
levels of inclusion (although, in practice, it will
only be at most three or four levels). The whole
structure cannot be replaced with a simpler structure
where b.xml and c.xml are both included in a.xml. The
example above is a very simplified version of what the
xml code we are dealing with actually looks like.

Thanks a lot for any help!

Joerg

Joerg M. Colberg
Econovo Software, Inc.