RE: [xsl] XSLT 1.1 comments

Subject: RE: [xsl] XSLT 1.1 comments
From: DPawson@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 09:18:43 -0000
 Steve Muench

> The very nature of Working Drafts is to get user community
> feedback *before* it's too late.
>
> Other than the few good points about making the spec clearer,
> the executive summary of the feedback seems to be "why are Java
> and ECMAScript special?"
>
> We encourage any additional feedback.

One more then, building on your own comment a few days ago.
Whats the security implications of having running code in language X
within a stylesheet?

java might have a security blanket (I think), but I've used
python as a shell scripting language, so I know it can do just about
anything
that I can do from the command line. Will people need to run anti-virus
software over any stylesheet they pick up from this list?

btw Steve I don't think the java api for DOM is a good model to pick
when looking for extensible interfaces. The DOM is way out different from
XSLT.
I'm surprised you brought this up as a comparison.

I've always looked to W3C for 'standard' ways of doing things. This seems
like
a crack in the door which will lead to W3C drift from a standard way of
doing things.

I fully agree with the user community 'needs'/requests for the specific
extensions to XSLT that you list, xsl:node-set, xsl:document, and probably
Mike Kay and others could tell you which other ones were popularly
requested.
I've no problem with that. Genuine need.

I would however have liked to see Mike Kay's and David Carlisles responses
to some of the other requests for 'extensions to do X'. Listening on this
list
it would appear that most of the problems can be answered by their level of
expertise. I fear you may have been misled by users lack of expertise.

Regards DaveP