Re: [xsl] XSLT 1.1 comments (in defence of xsl:script)

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT 1.1 comments (in defence of xsl:script)
From: "Steve Muench" <Steve.Muench@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 14:08:00 -0800
| > I don't really want to argue with you about your comments on whether
| > standardised bindings are a good thing. (Because you know more
| > about that side of things than I do) But what I was trying to point out
| > that _your_ arguments are arguing about the core issue (whether a
| > standardised binding is a good idea) and that xsl:script, despite its
| > name, isn't about encouraging the use of scripting languages.
|
| Standard bindings for different languages are one thing.  This
| is just fine.  It allows my "java" extension function to work
| in multiple java based XSLT processors.  However, bindings
| should not be required by a processor

They are not. Built-in extension functions can continue to be used
just as they are in XSLT 1.0. There is no need to use <xsl:script>
to bind these an implementation to a namespace.

|, and it should be clear
| that an extension function can be implemened in more than one
| language.

The XSLT 1.1 spec makes this clear, I believe:

>From section 14.4...

  If there are multiple xsl:script elements with the same namespace
  URI but different implementation languages, then each implementation
  language corresponds to an alternative implementation of the same
  extension functions. If an XSLT processor supports two or more of
  the languages in which an extension function implementation is
  provided, then it is free to choose any of its supported languages,
  provided that it always chooses the same implementation for the same
  extension function namespace URI. A processor is under no obligation
  to choose the same implementation each time a document is
  transformed.