Re: [xsl] RE: syntax sugar for call-template

Subject: Re: [xsl] RE: syntax sugar for call-template
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 18:38:40 GMT
> Calling a template from a function within an XPath expression is not a good
> idea. It's important that functions should have no side-effects, and
> templates normally have the side-effect of writing to the result tree.
> That's why I made saxon:function a distinct construct from xsl:template.

probably it needs to be a different construct anyway so you can more
naturally have positional arguments and return values other than node
sets. However If you did try to merge with named templates I wouldn't
have thought the above would be a problem, as I'd have expected
foo:named-template-as-function()
to act like $x where x is some internal hidden variable, essentially
set by
<xsl:variable name="x">
<xsl:call-template name="foo:named-template-as-template">

David