Re: [xsl] XSLT 1.1 comments

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT 1.1 comments
From: "Steve Muench" <Steve.Muench@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 09:18:32 -0800
| : It is a language for describing XML transformations,
| : much like SQL, is a language for describing database queries.
| : As such, there is no problem for people escaping into XSLT
| : from inside Java.  However, it is just bad engineering to
| : do it the other way around.
|
| This is actually an interesting point. Is it  a viable option, then, to
| define the Java bindings as escapes into XSLT

Isn't this what the JAXP 1.1 "TRAX" effort did?

The DOM group is looking at an XPath API as well.

| : Just about every database company would cry foul play if a
| : proprietary language (like Java) were allowed to be embedded
| : in SQL....  In the same way, xsl:script, which allows embedding
| : Java (and other languages) in XSLT is a very bad idea.
|
| I guess you didn't buy into Oracle's "Java in the database" propaganda?

In Oracle, before you can use Java in SQL, you actually
create a SQL-flavored interface for your static Java implementation
class methods so to the rest of the database your Java code
looks indistinguishable from a normal PL/SQL stored function
or stored procedure.