Re: [xsl] CDATA back to its original shape

Subject: Re: [xsl] CDATA back to its original shape
From: Jeni Tennison <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 12:17:15 +0000
Hi Scott,

>> I should add that disable-output-escaping might not be supported by
>> your processor (e.g. if you're using Xalan, I believe) so this may not
>> be an option anyway.
>
> disable-output-escaping is indeed supported by Xalan. The only place
> it is not supported is inside xsl:attribute, because the SAX
> interface makes it hard to implement (I'm still trying to figure out
> a technical solution to this, such as special escape characters
> inside the attribute string).

I'm sorry for the misrepresentation - I don't know where I picked that
up from. But I'm confused - no processor should allow disabled output
escaping within xsl:attribute (or xsl:processing-instruction or
xsl:comment):

Section 16.4 says:

   "It is an error for output escaping to be disabled for a text node
   that is used for something other than a text node in the result
   tree. Thus, it is an error to disable output escaping for an
   xsl:value-of or xsl:text element that is used to generate the
   string-value of a comment, processing instruction or attribute
   node...an XSLT processor may signal the error; if it does not
   signal the error, it must recover by ignoring the
   disable-output-escaping attribute."

Cheers,

Jeni

---