Re: Designs for XSLT functions (Was: Re: [xsl] RE: syntax sugar for call-template)

Subject: Re: Designs for XSLT functions (Was: Re: [xsl] RE: syntax sugar for call-template)
From: Francis Norton <francis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 11:24:45 +0000
Miloslav Nic wrote:

> > I agree that for string manipulation, there's not much call for
> > anything very sophisticated, and you can always call out to a named
> > template if you need to.  However, for node-set manipulation that's
> > not always an option - you can't get a named template to return a node
> > set.
>
> Actually you can:

---
C:\xml>saxon nodeset.xslt nodeset.xslt
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>2

C:\xml>msxsl nodeset.xslt nodeset.xslt
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

Error occurred while executing stylesheet 'nodeset.xslt'.

Code:   0x80004005
Reference to variable or parameter 'xxx' must evaluate to a node list.

C:\xml>
---

Well, you can in Saxon 6.2 (which includes 1.1 support, though this
shouldn't apply given the version="1.0") but not in MSXML3 - are you
sure this is kosher?

Francis.