Re: [xsl] Poluting XSLT??? (Was Re: Designs for XSLT functions )

Subject: Re: [xsl] Poluting XSLT??? (Was Re: Designs for XSLT functions )
From: "Clark C. Evans" <cce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 03:46:33 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 23 Feb 2001, Jeni Tennison wrote:
> > Any attempt to extend a language by voting reminds me of "popular
> > movements", "party meetings" and the well-known results of these in
> > history.

Yes.  Take the Boston Tea Party.  It has very well
known results and a tale that differs by perspective.

Your point is?

> I remember when I lurked on XML-Dev during the development of SAX and
> XSchema feeling I didn't have much that I could positively add but
> still wanted to have a say. That's why I thought that allowing people
> to vote on the issues that had been discussed would give those people
> a say. Turns out that everyone was skipping over the discussion,
> objects to voting on religious or political grounds or basically
> doesn't really care ;( Ho hum. Live and learn.

Jeni, you are doing wonderfully and you have a
keen sense of how to use XSLT (and how to dig useful
information out of a fella who is floundering)

> So anyway, I'll try another approach - writing a draft based on what I
> think (naturally informed by the discussions we've had).  Perhaps that
> will rouse implementers to say "but I can't implement that!" and
> authors to say "but I can't write this!".

This would be welcome.  It doesn't matter if it gets
implemented or even moved into the spec; just that
it is down on "paper" in a coherent form.

Thank you!

Clark