RE: [xsl] RE:"*NEVER* use for-each"

Subject: RE: [xsl] RE:"*NEVER* use for-each"
From: "Ben Robb" <b.robb@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 17:37:25 -0000
Basically, for-each breaks the natural programming model of templates,
which, while slightly odd to most programmers coming in from
html/asp/javascript, makes sense when you actually understand what is
going on in the background of the process.

for-each is only really useful to do things out of the ordinary... for
most cases, where you want to process an XML document once and have
another XML document pop out of the other side, using templates will
mean shorter, more generic code, which keeps the size of your document
down and allows for reuse of code. for-each will produce identical
output, but, while it is easier to read in the first place, it relies
much more on knowing the structure of the input document in detail...
something that is not always an option. Templates, particularly
"catch-all" templates (match="*" for example), allow for unstructured
data to be inputted.

Also, it is the only way forward if you want to do any kind of recursive
processing.

It is a little harsh to say "never" use for-each - I do sometimes;
however, I tend to stick to templates for most cases.

Does that make sense? I'm in the middle of my 5th server install of the
day, so probably not *grin*

Ben