Re: [xsl] XPath for all of an element type prior to context node?

Subject: Re: [xsl] XPath for all of an element type prior to context node?
From: Francis Norton <francis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 10:28:33 +0000

Michael Strasser wrote:

> Here's a bit of XPath that is too tricky for me.
>
> Given this simplified XML document (empty elements for clarity):
>

> When the context node is any of those with an id attribute, I want a way to
> get the list of resources nodes that occur:
>
> - before the context node; or
> - after the context node.
>
> Please let me know if this request isn't clear.

Actually it could be a bit clearer on one point - do want all the
preceding / following resource elements in the whol document or within
some other scope?

If the former, "ancestor::resource | preceding::resource" and
"descendent::resource | following::resource" should do it, given the
useful comment in http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath#axes

"NOTE: The ancestor, descendant, following, preceding and self axes
partition a document (ignoring attribute and namespace nodes): they do
not overlap and together they contain all the nodes in the document."

Francis.