Re: [xsl] ANNOUNCE: Petition to withdraw xsl:script from XSLT 1.1

Subject: Re: [xsl] ANNOUNCE: Petition to withdraw xsl:script from XSLT 1.1
From: Jeni Tennison <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 08:58:10 +0000
Hi Clark,

> I had in mind a RDDL [1] like mechanism where one could ask for a
> "your-favorite-language" implementation of the "some-uri-reference"
> extension function. Certainly this means going out to the 'net for
> implementations. I include by reference all of the caching
> discussions relted to RDDL.
[snip]
> Anyway, this was my thought on the item.  I'm sure it's not
> perfect by any strech.  But the point was not added to the petition
> without thought on its ramifications.

Fantastic :) I didn't think that you hadn't thought it through - I
just wanted to see what the alternative mechanism might look like. I
really like the RDDL idea, especially as you've expanded it in later
messages. I love the language-neutral function description. I also
think the indirection will discourage people from just 'opting out' to
Javascript etc. when they can't see how to achieve something in XSLT.

It would be good to see it worked up into some kind of document...?

Cheers,

Jeni

---
Jeni Tennison