Re: [xsl] xbind:module == xsl:script + an essential layer of indirection

Subject: Re: [xsl] xbind:module == xsl:script + an essential layer of indirection
From: "Steve Muench" <Steve.Muench@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 22:16:37 -0800
| What if xsl:script were changed from...
| : > <xsl:stylesheet xmlns:date="http://datestuff.com/xslt/extensions";>
| : >   <xsl:script implements-prefix="date"
| : >               language="lang:yyyy"
| : >       src="http://datestuff.com/xslt/extension/impl/dates.xyz"/>
| :
| : To...
| :
| :     <xsl:script implements="http://datestuff.com/xslt/extensions";
| :                 language="lang:yyyy"
| :       src="http://datestuff.com/xslt/extensions/impl/dates.xyz"/>
|
| I find the XSLT namespace usage for bindings somewhat problemmatic. I think
| Clark made an argument earlier that these bindings could be used for other
| languages, not just XSLT, which I found convincing. Given that we can always
| include top-level elements in XSLT stylesheets if we really need it to be
| part of XSLT document, it seems better to have a separate namespace.

Eugene,

These two approaches are semantically identical.

The only difference is that with the current <xsl:script>
proposal, if you list three languages for the same
namespace uri, then you save a little typing by doing:

<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:date="http://datestuff.com/xslt/extensions";>
   <xsl:script implements-prefix="date" language="lang:yyyy"
               src="http://datestuff.com/xslt/extension/impl/dates.xyz"/>

   <xsl:script implements-prefix="date" language="lang:zzzzz"
               src="http://datestuff.com/xslt/extension/impl/dates.xyz"/>

   <xsl:script implements-prefix="date" language="anotherlang:qqqqq"
               src="http://datestuff.com/xslt/extension/impl/dates.xyz"/>

whereas with your proposal, you repeat the namespace uri
each time instead of using its shortcut/prefix name:

<xsl:stylesheet>
   <xsl:script implements="http://datestuff.com/xslt/extensions";
               language="lang:yyyy"
               src="http://datestuff.com/xslt/extension/impl/dates.xyz"/>