Re: [xsl] RDDL as a delivery vehicle for XSLT extensions?

Subject: Re: [xsl] RDDL as a delivery vehicle for XSLT extensions?
From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2001 07:46:19 -0500
At 11:19 AM +0700 3/4/01, James Clark wrote:

There is also a precedent for this in XSLT 1.0: the result-prefix and
stylesheet-prefix attributes on xsl:namespace-alias and the
extension-element-prefixes attribute on xsl:stylesheet are using
prefixes to refer to namespaces in exactly the same way.  In these
cases, as with implements-prefix (and as with element and attribute
QNames), the prefix has no function other than to serve as a place
holder for the namespace URI.

I see the point you're making here, but I don't think it's strong enough to justify implements-prefix="d" instead of implements="http://www.somehwere.com"; on xsl:script. The cases you mention have always confused me precisely because they're using prefixes where you'd naturally expect them to be using URIs. That mistake may not be fixable at this point, but let's not propagate it into new elements. If you need to associate something with a namespace, you should use the URI, not the prefix.

| Elliotte Rusty Harold | elharo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | Writer/Programmer |
|                  The XML Bible (IDG Books, 1999)                   |
|              http://metalab.unc.edu/xml/books/bible/               |
|   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0764532367/cafeaulaitA/   |