[xsl] XSLT as a ETL alternative?

Subject: [xsl] XSLT as a ETL alternative?
From: Chad Small <chad.small@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 11:33:29 -0600
I'm interested in peoples comments with regard to using XSLT as an ETL tool.
Currently we use Mercator, an ETL tool (and an expensive one at that), to
help in the transformation from source to destination.  Most of our feeds
and extracts are in a TEXT format in terms of records (which I think XSLT
could handle pretty easily).  And I was thinking of using Oracle's XSQL or
some direct JDBC classes or beans that could handle specific XML schemas
(I've used both of these methods with success).  What types of pluses and
minuses can you see if we start to write an in house tool with XSLT as the
mapping technology?  I would be especially interested in any peoples
comments that have actually made this type of move to this kind of "in-house
transformation tool".

thanks,
chad.