[xsl] xsl:element question

Subject: [xsl] xsl:element question
From: mjyoungblut@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 12:10:35 -0600
I have a series of elements that I want to add an attribute to.  So I want
to call a template that will work on any element, and add the attribute to
that element.  The problem that I am having is having a generic template do
this because I am not able to name the element.  I am trying to do this:

<xsl:element name="name( )"> or <xsl:element name="$THIS_ELEMENTS_NAME">
     <xsl:copy-of select="@*"/>
     <xsl:attribute name="Action"><xsl:value-of select
="$ACTION"/></xsl:attribute>
     <xsl:value-of select="."/>
</xsl:element>

I get a recoverable error at the first line, but an error after that
because I have an empty element.  Is there a way to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance,
     Matt Youngblut