Re: [xsl] Is XSLT the right name?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Is XSLT the right name?
From: Martin Stricker <shugal@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 00:41:15 +0100
Michael Fitzgerald wrote:

> Here's the rec's take on it.
>
> "A transformation expressed in XSLT is called a stylesheet. This is
> because, in the case when XSLT is transforming into the XSL
> formatting vocabulary, the transformation functions as a stylesheet."

> bryan.s.schnabel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > As I consider the tasks I perform using XSL and XSLT, I don't
> > think of them as "stylesheet" tasks.  I think of them as
> > "transformation" tasks.  XTL seems like a better name.  Does anyone
> > else trip over the S?

Look at DSSSL, the most commonly used stylesheet language for SGML.
DSSSL stands for »Document Style Semantics and Specification Language«,
so there's the Stylesheet issue in it, too. And DSSSL is as powerful,
maybe even more, as XSL/XSLT. Maybe you could rename it to XSSLT adding
"Scripting"...

I'm ok with the name XSLT, I just would like to have a consistent way
doing the XSL names: Either XSL-T and XSL-FO (preferred) or XSLT and
XSLFO. Having XSLT and XSL-FO is weird. ;-))

Best regards,
Martin Stricker