Re: [xsl] Question on storing Dates for Calendar Items

Subject: Re: [xsl] Question on storing Dates for Calendar Items
From: David_Marston@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 10:56:41 -0500
Brian Gollwitzer wrote:
>I'm currently using ODBC and ASP to serve up calendar information
>in a table/list format.  The table consists of two columns,
>Event Description and Event Date and is sorted by Event Date.
>The Event Date is stored in the DB as a Date Data Type.
>Using ASP I create the XML file and it looks like below.
>...<date>12-Feb-01</date>
>...What I'm wondering is
>1. What is a good way to store this date information so it can be
>easily sorted.

In terms of current technology, you could use the "Dublin Core"
representation, described at
http://purl.org/DC/documents/rec-dces-19990702.htm
which I believe harmonizes with ISO-8601 (yyyymmdd).

>I know I could just sort the data server-side before writing it to the
>XML file and xsl:for-each running through them in order knowing they
>are already sorted...

This looks like a great idea to me, since the RDBMS suppliers have
extensive experience in query/retrieval optimization.

XML Schemas should provide more options for you. Start looking into
schemas now if you want to be on the laeding edge.
.................David Marston