Re: [xsl] xsl 1.1 security model?

Subject: Re: [xsl] xsl 1.1 security model?
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 11:03:52 +0100
   > .. xsl:document...

   It's my understanding that Microsoft are reluctant to implement this feature
   client-side, and I think the spec is clear that it's not required for
   conformance.

   This approach makes sense, since the requirement for the feature is mainly
   fur use during the publishing cycle, not in client-side rendering.

   Mike Kay
   Software AG

While the ability to actually produce files is perhaps not so important
client side, it's still quite useful to chunk an XML to HTML
transformation into pieces to save having such a big scrolled display.

Currently (using XSLT 1.0 on xt/saxon/msxsl) I use some templates
that have processor specific namespace code to use xt:document and
friends for the "server side" (actually command line) processors
but for IE/msxml3 it just makes one chunk (say one chapter) and discards
all the rest.

Then <a href and other links are generated by a template which produces
href="chapter2.html#foo" when such a file is being made and in the IE
case writes something like href="javascript:mydisplay('chapter2','foo')"
which invokes a little script that re-applies the XSL stylesheet with a
parameter set to chapter2 so just that chapter is displayed as html,
then scrolls the browser down to #foo.

The XSLT 1.1 xsl:document will simplify the command line part of all of
this, as there will no longer have to be a big processor-specific
fallback, but I wonder, is there any way of standardising the generation
of the href URIs.

Perhaps? an XSLT specific XPath function that returns a URI that relates
to whatever the system did with a corresponding xsl:document.
That is, if the final writeup allows some system dependencies on whether
a file is produced by xsl:document, or if so where it is, then if
there was a standard way of accessing that file (which needn't exist as
a real file, just be some "thing" that is accessible by some URI scheme,
such as in the case above, javascript:) then we could use that function
in the link templates and so avoid all explict processor-specific coding
in stylesheets using xsl:document.

David