Re: [xsl] Latest XSLTMark benchmark

Subject: Re: [xsl] Latest XSLTMark benchmark
From: "Eugene Kuznetsov" <eugene@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 18:07:23 -0500
> That was my conclusion as well.  I also examined their Xalan-C++ driver,
> which is poorly written, leaks memory, and uses a suboptimal source tree
> for the transformation.  It took 15 minutes for me to re-write their
> driver, and the results are significantly improved.

Great, could you send it to us so we could use it to put out corrected
results and bundle it with the source tarball?

> I only wish someone had bothered to post a request to the Xalan list for
> a review of their driver, or at least some notice that they were doing
> this.

It is important to note that XSLTMark was announced on xsl-list in October
of 2000 and included a Xalan-C++ driver then. Many developers (Michael Kay,
the folks at Microsoft, Oracle and others) contacted us at that time and
made comments on the compliance tests, the drivers, and so on. There was
then another release, and more work, and only then did it receive wider
distribution on XML.com. All the source code was always available, and
indeed you can still download all the versions and corresponding results
from the website. Both the Saxon and the Xalan driver have not changed
in any material way in about 5 months.

> Companies which post benchmarks ought to be more responsible.

Look, there was something we missed in a couple of (admittedly important)
drivers. We will set it right. I would be grateful for your involvement
and any help you can provide, both for Xalan and the benchmark in general.

\\ Eugene Kuznetsov
\\ eugene@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
\\ DataPower Technology, Inc.