[xsl] processing unique elements (as indicated by id attribute) once

Subject: [xsl] processing unique elements (as indicated by id attribute) once
From: Gary Bartlett <gary_a_bartlett@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 06:02:06 -0700 (PDT)
Greetings -

I am struggling with a solution for the following:

I have an input xml file with a mix of well formed
HTML and some custom elements.  I want to be able to
process the custom elements once for each unique
element (for these purposes I am using the id
attribute of the element to determine if it is
unique).

Here is sample input:

<page>
  <gfeRepetition>
      <gfeElement id="name1" method="name1">
        Element1
      </gfeElement>
      <gfeConditional id="cond2" test="test2">
	<gfeElement id="name1" method="name1">
           Element1
        </gfeElement>
	<gfeElement id="name2" method="name2">
           Element2
        </gfeElement>
      </gfeConditional>
      <gfeConditional id="cond2" test="test2"
negate="true">
	<gfeElement id="name1" method="name1">
           Element1
        </gfeElement>
	<gfeElement id="name2" method="name2">
           Element2
        </gfeElement>
      </gfeConditional>
  </gfeRepetition>
</page>

I have struggled with several different approaches -
but am unable to get any of them to do what I need.

Any suggestions as to how to accomplish this are
appreciated.

Thanks - Gary Bartlett