[xsl] Styling using IE - Corrupt with Win98?

Subject: [xsl] Styling using IE - Corrupt with Win98?
From: "Roger L. Costello" <costello@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 19:48:30 -0500
Hi Folks,

I decided to try using Internet Explorer to style my XML documents.  [I
am running Windows 98.]

I followed the instructions described at:

    http://www.netcrucible.com/xslt/msxml-faq.htm#Q3

Per these instructions:

1. I installed MSXML3.0
2. I downloaded xmlinst.exe and extracted the files
3. I opened a DOS window, changed to the appropriate directory, and
typed:

    xmlinst -u

This resulted in an error message being generated.  I don't recall the
exact message.  Something about needing to install WinNT.

Running this command resulted in the following consequences:

1. Internet Explorer no longer recognized XML documents.  I was no
longer able to open XML documents in the browser.
2. XMLSpy no longer would style XML documents.  Whenever I tried to
style an XML document it would tell me that I needed to install MSXML3.0
[I reinstalled MSXML3.0 many times, and still no effect.]

I reinstalled IE5.5 and now it is recognizing XML documents.
No matter what I do, I cannot get XML Spy to style any more.

Questions:

- Can someone please tell me what's going on?
- Is it not possible to style using IE on Win98 machines?
- Can someone tell me how to get XML Spy working again?

Thanks!  /Roger