Re: [xsl] XPath for number of preceding nodes sharing an ancestor

Subject: Re: [xsl] XPath for number of preceding nodes sharing an ancestor
From: "Christopher R. Maden" <crism@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 16:56:19 -0700
At 16:24 15-05-2001, Michael Strasser wrote:
I want to count the number of preceding nodes that share an ancestor node.

When each input element is processed I need a unique number within the
inputform node.

This works but the XPath in the select attribute of xsl:variable feels a
bit clumsy. Is there a better way or am I feeling worried because it is
rather wordy?

Depending on what you want to do with the number, you may be able to use the <xsl:number/> instruction. This puts the number directly into the result tree, so it can't (for instance) be used in a select expression, but if you're just trying to number the items, it may help.

[There's been a discussion over in XML-L on the benefits and drawbacks of <xsl:number/> if anyone's interested.]

-Chris
--
Christopher R. Maden, XML Consultant